Wow! I really enjoyed learning about Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 9.5 and Kurzweil 3000! While I'm pretty familiar with word prediction software, I never really considered using NaturallySpeaking or Kurzweil before, but I can definitely see the practicality in using the software with the students I had who suffered from dysgraphia. He was a very slow typer, and while we continued to set goals to improve his typing skills, now I can see how he might have benefited from using either of these particular software tools. While it does seem that a student would have to undergo some training with this (how to change font, new line, new paragraph, full-stop, etc), I do think the benefits outweigh the costs (in this particular student's case).
Ways to implement AT into the school library media center? I was really shocked that Microsoft has so many simple AT modifications built into computer operating systems (without having to purchase any additional software!). I didn't realize that it was possible (with Windows Vista) to change settings like font, images, or even use the Microsoft Magnifier. These simple accommodations go a long way for users with disabilities, without incurring the high costs associated with more expensive software (it's nice that you technically already paid for the features, when you selected the operating system). I was also surprised the learn that Windows Vista includes Windows Speech Recognition, which allows you to interact with your computer via voice! So awesome! I really think it's important to publicize that these tools are in place in your school library media center. Without knowing it, very useful AT tools are actually already available to students, they just don't know they're there!
Thursday, November 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great point about the low-cost (i.e. already-paid-for) modifications built into Windows! I sure hadn't thought about them in this way before, but they are easy to use, and already in place! This is definitely something I will bring up with my school's technology committee!
ReplyDeleteit IS surprising how few people know about OS accommodations
ReplyDelete