Below is my hardware needs assessment:
I am basing this hardware needs assessment off the Middle School that I worked at as a special education teacher for 2 years. The population of students that I targeting with this assessment are a group of special education students that are currently in general education classes but have learning disabilities that prevent them from successfully accessing the general education curriculum (especially in the areas of reading and writing, where many students are functioning well below grade level). While each piece of hardware recommended here is targeted primarily towards a specific type of disability, but each device can be tailored to meet other students individual needs as well (some tools focus more on output, or communicative efforts while others focus on comprehension and understanding). When selecting these pieces, I had a group of students in mind: two students who suffer primarily from dysgraphia as well as dyslexia, and had significant trouble with writing by hand (issues with fine motor skills) and well as spelling difficulties; and additional students who have significant difficulties with reading comprehension. I really feel this learning disabled group is a good group to choose for these hardware pieces because this equipment greatly increases their abilities to successfully access the general education curriculum.
I also feel this is an appropriate group to choose because I believe it is a group that is underserviced (many of these students seem to “fall through the cracks”), as well as a group where many students are currently in general education classes, and need additional help in order to be successful. In addition, many of the hardware tools that I have selected would also be helpful for general education students (as well as ELL or ESL) that are significantly below grade level in reading and writing. I truly believe that by selecting tools that target these needs, I would be working towards my goal of creating a community devoted to life-long learning, which is a goal this school targets.
The 2 tools I chose to focus on include one for reading and one for writing (and both are used in the gen education classroom setting, not just the library media center):
Hardware Selection Tool #1: Neo2 by AlphaSmart
http://www.renlearn.com/neo/NEO2/specialneeds/default.aspx
This tool costs—$199
-Targets—improving writing ability/communication
-Reduces time/effort in composing written assignments
-Helps students “keep pace” with their peers in the gen. ed class setting
-Sticky Keys allow for combo keystrokes without pressing keys simultaneously
-Multiple font sizes allow for any vision difficulties
-*Optional—can add on great software like CoWriter (an excellent word prediction tool) and Text2Speech which allows for students to listen to text as they write!)
The availability of this tool is very good. The training involved with this tool is rather minimal. Clear, concise instructions accompany purchase and very little advanced software is needed. Overall, this tool is feasible because of its high use and functionality. More expensive, less durable portable laptops and computers might seem more fancy, but the Neo AlphaSmart is extremely durable and portable. A student could easily travel with the Neo and it’s even feasible to fit inside backpacks!
Hardware Selection Tool #2: Reading Pen (Wizcom Technologies)
http://www.infogrip.com/product_view.asp?RecordNumber=628&sbcolor=%23FF9999&option=communication&subcategory=&CatTxt=&optiontxt=Communication
This tool costs—$279-ish
-Targets—improve reading comprehension
-Improves decoding
-Aids in the reading comprehension process
-Replaces the constant having to look words up in a portable dictionary
-Allows students to scan a word that they come across in reading, hear the word aloud, and also get a dictionary definition
The availability of this tool is quite good. The training involved with this tool is minimal.
Overall, this tool is feasible because it is easily transportable and useful in classroom and home settings (if possible). Also, students can, with permission from their teachers, come and “check” the pen out, similar to checking another library item out, to use it for classroom, project, or home (depending) assignments. While this tool is a little pricy, the benefits for students with reading comprehension is high. When used correctly, the pen can significantly help students improve their vocabulary, decoding skills, and word recall. Not to mention, the increase in motivation these students will encounter when using this pen—previously reading was a frustrating and hard task, now the reading pen makes that process easier, as well as fun and interesting!
I answered the below questions in selecting the above tools.
From http://www.iltech.org/deciding_right.asp,
1). Why do you want to use technology?
-increase productivity at school; handle better written assignments while still working the gen ed classroom setting; increase word recognition
2). For what activities will you be using technology?
-notetaking, writing assignments, test taking; reading classroom texts, reading leisure texts
3). How are you completing these activities now?
Dysgraphia students—dictating to aide/special education teacher; modified assignment length; opportunity to provide verbal responses
Reading—reading but at much slower pace/speed; much of word comprehension is lost in attempt to keep up with pace of gen. ed class
4). Consider your daily routine. When and how often would you use technology throughout a typical day?
AlphaSmart—2-4 hrs depending on class assignments/notetaking obligations
Reading Pen—everyday when reading in class/independent reading
5). What goals do you plan on achieving by using technology?
AlphaSmart—better able to time prioritize assignments, complete in timely fashion
Reading Pen—word recall, word recognition, improve reading abilities/vocab
6). Consider where, as in what environment you'll be using technology.
Classroom, home
7). Are these environments accessible for technology?
All are easily transmittable, compact, and
8). Picture yourself using technology to complete your activities in your environment(s).
The ability to use these tools in the general education classroom setting allows students (in their least restrictive environment) to successfully access gen ed curriculum. They are accessing information, along with their peers, just using additional tools to help them along.
Continuing on with Week 2 Tasks...
I really liked viewing the IntelliKeys overlays were particularly attractive simply because they offer such versatility and adaptability. Given the fact they are not permanent fixtures, students with varying disabilities can use a variety of computers. They are not stuck with just one specific computer they use day after day. I really liked the fact that colors and font size are targeted by this hardware and can see the practical usage of the keyboard by a variety of students. The InfoGrip website has been a particular favorite of mine and I think the BigKeys keyboard mentioned on the site can be useful for a variety of students. I liked that the size of the keyboards came in large and XL and that there was a choice in using black'n'white or colored keys.
In terms of my thoughts of different kinds of hardware, I really think this module of activities has made me ponder the many different uses for this type of AT. I've always leaned more towards software AT from my experiences as a special education teacher (and many of my students seemed to benefit more from software than hardware), but I think this module has shown me that there are options for higher incidence disabilities, especially such that can be very productive in the school setting. Also, this exposure to various forms of hardware has shown me that as a school librarian, I need to be aware of the various types and options of AT hardware so that I can help students in their information needs. I really think taking an active part in this arena is necessary for the school librarian, and one that I did not realize played such a big role in helping students access information.
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment