Sunday, October 25, 2009

Thing 18--Imported from Zoho Writer!!!

Sunday, October 25, 2009

 

I thought I would import my Blog posting for Thing #18, Week 18 while using Zoho Writer.  I must say that much of my experience has been using Google Docs (which I am a big fan of), but I am amazed by my options in using Zoho Writer.  I like that I have the ability to share my documents via email as well as posting to my blog.  I think the ability to create work and then publish that work in a online diary is very exciting!  I am a little confused on the process involved in creating "tags".  I do see there is a separate "Tag Folder", but I'm not exactly sure how the tags can be applied in this sense? 

 

I really like that collaboration on documents is pretty easy and straight-forward.  I like that you can see contextual comments, and that multiple editions can be made to documents by collaborators.  Just by simple practicing, I noticed that Zoho has additional Mail, Chats, Notebook, Planner and Meeting sections, so this site seems to function in many different environments, for a variety of different usages (which I like).  Overall, an interesting site!  (One again, that I did not know existed!).  I can definitely see the practicality in incorporating this into library settings.  Just the ability alone in itself to provide one, central place where multiple users can collaborate truly helps save time and effort in constantly loading and uploading the most recent edition of a particular document.  I remember when I was teaching 6th grade, we put on a 6th grade "Italian Night" to raise money for one of our field trips.  Long story short, we were constantly soliciting businesses to donate $$, door prizes, or food to help support our evening.  I can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES I had to make changes to our on-going list and then email it to everyone in our department (I could easily have used that time to find more donors!).  How frustrating!  But a site like Zoho Writer (as well as Google Docs) works really well to show people that collaboration can be an easier process.  Just taking the time to set-up the collaboration can be the toughest part.  I'm excited to share these tools with my colleagues in the school environment, I think they can go a long way in helping cooperative teaching!cool

2 comments:

  1. Erin, I was also impressed by Zoho's wide options for customizing. It certainly offered more than Google Docs which I am accustomed to using. Zoho gives Google some competition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you mentioned about set up time (front-loading), but it's worth it. As for tags, they're like subject heardings, and can help you retrieve info later

    ReplyDelete