Monday, September 7, 2009

Week 2, Thing #3 and #4--Blogging


To blog or not to blog that is the question...for me, the answer is "YES"! I started blogging for another LS class, but swiftly "fell off the wagon" so to speak when the assignment (and class) ended. This week reminded me how much I enjoy setting up a blog and adding my own little touches the final product. While this blog certainly isn't by any means finished, it is definitely a start or move in the right direction. I particularly enjoyed creating an avatar, something I was not at all familiar with.

I found the avatar selection process a lot of fun! I think I ended up spending way too much selecting what my avatar would look like as well as what she would wear (kinda like shopping but without the having to spend the $$ part). I definitely see the advantages and enjoyment in creating virtual representations of ourselves and can see the appeal of gaming programs and virtual worlds like Second Life. Maybe I will give that a shot after alll...

I'm really hoping to continue using this blog past this assignment. I tried to come up with somewhat of a catchy name, based on the television show I watched periodically for another class (trying to immerse myself in YA culture, I became a fan of the show Secret Life of the American Teenager). I see myself working in a YA library environment in the future and definitely plan on using my online diary for a variety of uses (as well as "connecting" with library users).

I also registered my blog with Classroom Learning 2.0 and got my first comment! It would be nice to set up my blog to receive an email notification when someone commented...interesting!

5 comments:

  1. What a great looking site Erin! I love all of the pictures, maybe I should get busy. I'm not sure blogs are ever "finished". It's fun to keep adding to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Valerie. I know, it always seems like we can keep adding to the blog. It sure has been fun so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice site Erin! I love your book pictures and your library dream. I just put two bookshelves in a room and called it my library! I even bought a candle with a fire place scent! I love this room, I sit in here with my lap top getting work done and I envision the day I am reading pleasure books :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for the day we get to read pleasure books again ;) Thanks for your feedback, I think your library sounds awesome as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your red hair bandana...
    Avatars get you street cred with YAs; keep up the fun!

    ReplyDelete