
I definitely can see the benefit in using RSS feeds. For example, I have a routine...I visit the same websites every morning, noon, and night in pretty much the same order (although sometimes I do deviate, depending on my mood), pretty religiously. RSS feeds would definitely same time and effort as typing in the same web address every day, almost 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, year after year gets tiresome. I don't even bookmark! (I don't even have a good reason for not bookmarking). After having set up a Google Reader account (I heart Google as well as Skype), I was able to set up a feed from some of my favorite news sites. Now, I just have to visit 1 site, not 20. All the updates and news info I want is literally in one site. I like it!
Using RSS feeds for libraries can also be a good way to publicize what is "new" at the library. Having the ability to set up RSS feeds from the library's homepage to user's own Google Readers, etc, would make activities like spreading the word on library announcements that much easier. Also, I think that from a professional standpoint, librarians can keep "in-the-loop" so to speak with important library info from sites like ALA, YALSA, etc. Also, keeping connected with other libraries and other librarian blogs, help create a sense of community and connection (despite physical distances). Overall, I like what I've learned so far about RSS feeds and cannot wait to continue experimenting with my own Google Reader.
Hi Erin, I agree with you about the RSS feed making my life easier! It has made following posts of fellow students 100% easier, all of the posts are in one place. And when I scroll through a post, it is marked as read! Very convenient. I am guessing that that this is how Dr. Farmer is able to keep up with all of our posts!
ReplyDelete