Sunday, November 1, 2009

Thing #21--Podcasts

I have been waiting for more information on Podcasts. I actually was hoping for more practice on just exactly how we can set up our own podcasts (in the form of specific directions), because I really see myself using this technical application in the library where I will eventually work. I know many school library media specialists that currently incorporate podcasts (especially with regards to book talks) in daily library activities (a few I know have these podcasts available on the school library's website). I think the notion of recording a podcast with a weekly "library tip" or library update is a great idea, and one that can be useful in many settings. Especially allowing students (like we did for this activity) to set up RSS feeds for blog reader accounts really ensures that the library is a part of the student's daily life (school and social!). I really like this idea and think that it can be used in a variety of educational ways.

Book talks podcasts seem especially popular. Also, having "guest appearances" (such as authors!?) would really seem to draw in listeners (imagine having someone like Sharon Creech or Stephenie Myer on?--now, THAT would be cool!). Also, in the school library setting, involving students in the recording and producing (as well as guest appearing) really seems to go a long way in making the school library media center, a "happening" place to be!

I selected 2 podcasts that I enjoy--Library Geeks (where librarian and geeks, "geek" about librarians) and Book Voyages (reviews of children's books from a school librarian's perspective). Both interesting, fun, and a lot of info to learn!

http://geeks.onebiglibrary.net/feed.xml
http://feeds.feedburner.com/BookVoyages

After reading the Courtney chapter on podcasting (Chapter 4), I felt a little bit more comfortable with "Getting Started" with podcasts. I thought the list of equipment necessary including microphones, recording/editing software, RSS feed, and servers for hosting audio files was quite comprehensive. I can definitely see using podcasts with teens and young kids with story time.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Erin, I would have like to see more information on creating our own podcasts. This is definitely an avenue libraries and technology are taking.

    ReplyDelete