Sunday, November 15, 2009

AT Tasks Week 1

I was really interested to see what this module of learning included. "Assistive technology" can mean many different things to many different people and having a background as a Special Education teacher, I know the many ways that I used AT differed from other SPED (Special Education) teachers at my school site. The students I taught many had learning disabilities as well as autism and emotional disturbances. Indeed, while many of the students I worked with, were also in regular general education classes, I also had some experience working with students with CP, blindness, and Down's Syndrome. Needless to say, after teaching special education for 3 years, this is a topic close to my heart!

I really liked the way that the National Blind Federation (in "Tips for Teachers") focused on the many ways that students (blind students in this case), can learn using their other senses. Mainly tactile approaches to learning (which certainly many students who aren't blind certainly respond well to), as well as utilizing hearing and listening skills. I especially liked the "Phases of the Moon" activity posted by Noreen Grice, where students learn the various phases of the moon using physical students as planets/the moon, and jingle bells to simulate the "movement". Again, not only blind students can benefit and learn from an activity like this. I really think that appealing to a variety of learning styles is key with all students, and especially key with students who have disabilities. As a special education teacher, I was pretty experienced with selecting accommodations for students to help them access the general education curriculum similar to any other student in the school. Math aids, enlarged print, audio recordings, testing aids (such as reading of test items and marking test booklet for students), are all ways in which blind students can learn the same information as general ed. students. In addition, I would introduce activities to blind students in the following ways:

1) Setting high expectations for student learning (in my experience, setting the bar high for what students can achieve, while taking into consideration the limits of one's disability is key)

2) Use a variety of instructional approaches, appealing to a variety of learning styles

3) Utilize partner situations. (Many of my special ed students had a "study buddy" or someone that could help them in certain classroom learning situations).

Also, I really enjoyed reading some suggestions for employers in helping people with disabilities (particularly learning disabilities) from JAN. Many of these I have used in my own classroom situations. Some of the best practices I read included:

-Reading aloud of items (as well as test by teacher/aide)
-Providing larger print
-Allow dictionaries for spelling
-Smaller group testing situations, opportunity for clarification and questions
-Allow for proofreading
-Extended time on assignments/test
-Use of specialized software when applicable (KidSpiration/Inspiration)
-Verbal response/answer/dictation rather than written
-Use of checklists
-**Most important: Positive and immediate feedback (so crucial in correcting behaviors and imitating or modeling correct, or desired behaviors).

2 comments:

  1. I liked all of your strategies, but was most glad to see you mention immediate, postive feedback and maintaining high expectations. I failed to add them to my list, but agree 110%. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete