Sunday, September 27, 2009

Thing #12--Rollyo

Again, a common theme of this blog is trying new things! This week I tried using Rollyo, (a website I grudgingly admit I'd never even heard of before :(). I was impressed by the user friendly interface and the way that I can create a search tool to search my favorite library-related websites.

I created a searchbox for my favorite collection development related sites (or recommendations for future YA library center purchases). I included sites like the YSLA website, School Library Journal, Amazon, etc.

In addition to personal usage (I can see myself using Rolloyo to create my own personal news related websites), I can definitely see myself recommending using the site to library users as well. I think the site streamlines and makes searching sites pretty simple and straightforward. However, I do think that some of my own personal habits when it comes to searching are turning towards my trusty Google homepage and then navigating from there. I do think it is beneficial from a collaboration perspective to create common educational or professional development-related searchboxes and then share with colleagues. That being said...here's a link to my Rollyo searchbox...

Also, here's my lesson plan-specific created Rollyo search focusing on Biology/Life Sciences, ecology, and endangered species:

http://rollyo.com/eloether/endangered_species/

4 comments:

  1. Rollyo is good for workshops and for young people (closed universe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you might be interested to know that your trusty Google has a cudtomizable search engine, like Roll-yo. It probably loads a bit more quickly, too. Here's the link, but you can find it under Google's "more products" page. http://www.google.com/cse/?hl=en

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe there is something wrong with my browser but I can't see the link to your rollyo page. I like your idea of using it for collection development!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't it be great to somehow intertwine Rollyo and Delicious into one site?! Searching based on tags instead of websites!

    ReplyDelete